Monday, December 29, 2014

Week 7 in France



 The no bake cookie pictures were just for me.  We sent him the oats and cocoa to make them for the holidays.  So glad he remembered how to mix them together.  Below is his package of treats from grandma and grandpa k.  Quite the package they sent with lots of goodies.

 For ethan...



So our second lesson with Thibaut(T-bow, don't think to hard on this one)  this week was super exciting! He didn't understand why he needed to go to church! So we, as simply as teenagers could, explained that Sunday was special because we take the sacrament on Sunday. We explained that sacrament was a renewal of one of our covenants with god! After explaining what a covenant was we explained that our first covenant is. Baptism! And after explaining what and how a baptism worked we asked Thibaut why he would want to be baptized. He said "to make promises with God".

 After giving the classic " will you follow Jesus and be baptized...." line we spent some time setting a date and explaining minor details! The only thing that I can ask all of my wonderful friends back home is to Pray that Thibaut can feel the spirit when he reads the Book Of Mormon and kick his cigarette smoking. I think dropping the cigarettes will be the hardest for him. He was up to a pack a day at one point, but since he has been cutting down on them his whole body shakes pretty bad.

That was a super high point of the week! It kinda makes everything else kinda dull. I have been using most of my spare time to read Articles of Faith by Talmage. I thought Jesus the Christ talked about deep topics but Articles of Faith is ridiculous! I finished one of the chapters and was just completely stunned. I had to Reread the Entire chapter to understand everything Talmage talked about. I just can't help but be blown away by the fact that Talmage wrote these books 100 years ago. He proves the authenticity of the Book of Mormon using central American Archaeological findings! My confidence that the blue book is 100Percent(sorry I couldn't find the percent sign on these french keybaords) authentic couldn't be stronger.

So Christmas eve we got invited to the D's. We ate So. Much. Food. Not to mention the variety of food here! The French like to eat Seafood for Chirstmas? Who could have guessed! I ate three different types of caviar, four different ways to cook salmon, and two different types of muscles.  I am a missionary, and missionaries eat Everything on their plates. It probably would have been fine if Seour D would have asked if we wanted more food before she dumped heaping piles of fish on our plates. I say all of this in good light! We love the D's, they are the only family in our branch that does member missionary work! 

I love you all, we got our first snow the day after Christmas, Je vous aime! Joyous Noel.

Elder Keller

After skyping with Grant on Christmas day we learned that they did have a couple investigators and so Troy wrote and asked if he could tell us their names so we could also pray for them.  This was the letter he wrote to Troy in reply.

The one constant is change! I love it! Our investigators are Thibaut(pronounced T-bow) and Charlotte, they are living together. We just committed Thibaut to baptism, not sure if Charlotte needs to be baptized. Katy B is a black lady in her 20s and comes to church and reads the blue book but really just needs that final push to get baptized and make the steps. Françis is a black French lawyer who helps immigrants get into the country and makes sure that they can stay in the country by lining up their law papers. He does all of that for free. Françis just needs to read the Book of Mormon; he is a smart man who needs to just read the book and discover how true it is. Those are our consistent investigators.  

Last week we ran into Cyril, a punk teenager who we gave a Book of Mormon too and set up an appointment for the following day. The next day he brought two more friends Benjamin, and Flaurant to the lesson. All three teenagers had scary black shirts with inappropriate logos and such but they all showed a sincere desire to listen to our message. They all took Book of Mormons home and wanted to share it with their families. The real selling point for them was that you found out if the church was true by praying on your own! That was something that all three of them loved about the church. I have been fasting for these kids. I felt a strong connection with them. Pray that we can meet with them again after the holidays and that they will feel the holy ghost when they read the Book of Mormon. 

If you want to pray for Philip-Jacquelyn that would be wonderful. We were just calling people who's numbers the Elders from a few transfers ago had gotten and when passing over Jacquelyn's number Elder Perry told me not to bother calling her. He said last time she got super mad and accused us of being a cult and performing magic on people. But by the time he told me all of that I already had the phone ringing. We waited for the answering machine but then Jacquelyn picked up and, long story short, we gave them the church web address to clear up misconceptions and were having a lesson on Friday! With her Whole Family! 

I am curious dad, so Françis discovered that at one point our church wouldn't let black have the priesthood and the REALLY offended him. He accused our church of being racist and being affiliated with other racist organizations. I was hoping you could explain to me about the whole blacks and the priesthood, the history to that and what cleared that up. I know thats a big topic to cover! 

I love you Father, your voice often echos in my head to stay on task; or fills my head with the words that I should say when speaking to members. 
Your son, Elder Keller

No comments: