Sunday, January 4, 2009

Music Memories


The kids wanted to hear music from the Grease album yesterday, and Morgan has been singing tunes to it all day. Her drama class had sung one of the songs in their show the other day.

This brought back an interesting memory I hadn't thought of in a long time. When Kim, Brett and I were young, Kim convinced us somehow to all chip in to buy the Grease soundtrack. This would have been around 1980, and so I would have been 10, Brett 13 and Kim 15. My contribution was maybe a dollar or two, while Kim and Brett threw in the bulk. I remember it clearly because it was one of the only double-record albums I had seen before. It was handsome and glossy, with large pictures of Travolta and Olivia Newton John on the cover. It opened up like a book with a record pouched in each side. We listened to it for many hours on the big stereo music cabinet in the living room. Kim even took it to the stake dances--the DJ apparently didn't have a copy. This sounds a little girly now, but, believe me, at the time Travolta and Grease were very cool.

2 comments:

mcjenn said...

Carlin,
I was a senior in high school when it came out in '78 and my best friend and I drove in her Mazda
RX-7 and saw it on opening night at the Trolley Square theaters. We thought we were so cool. We bought the 8Track to it. Girly memories for sure.

samsthree said...

Love it! I remember singing and dancing to the movie. It was one of my favs. I still love to hear the music. It reminds me that Isabelle and I are quite a bit alike.