Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ukraine Parent Lunch

Here is our wonderful "Parents soon to be adopting from the Ukraine" lunch group.  It's sure nice to just visit and know that we are all in the same situation, waiting to get our children from the Ukraine.  Although some have been waiting A LOT longer than me and I'm feeling like these past two months have been long.

 It's also fun to chat about our children with others who are just as excited as we are!  My neighbor teases me that I just light up when I start talking about our kids.  Well, it's a huge part of my life right now, to get them over here so we can be a family.  We also get the latest email news from our adoption agency (through each other) and hear about the latest letters people have/haven't received.  So far no packages sent in December have made it to the kids...  maybe it's not a good month to send a package.

So we have from left to right: Carrie and Andreas (who have been waiting over 18 months to get their little girl!), Doug and Amy (who are also adopting three from Kremenchuk), me, Wendy (who has been our leader through out the document collecting and is adopting Alexy), Dave (who is amazing and adopting 7! and has also been waiting over a year!), Lori and her daughter (adopting a boy from Kremenchuk who is friends with our Anya) and Leslie (who needs someone to watch her 3 year old son for a month while she's gone to pick up her daughter : ).  Also, Jen (adopting two sisters) who left before I remembered to take a picture, sorry Jen.  We were also missing Leslie (who is adopting two) and Ann (also adopting two), but we hope Ann had a smooth delivery and is home with a baby!  I think there are a couple other families adopting, but I'm not sure so I won't list them.  I also didn't list the kids names because I wasn't sure if everyone would be happy with that.  (I guess our blogs get read by people in the Ukraine and it has caused some problems for some families when they have been in the Ukraine adopting)...  hmmm should I write that?

We talked a lot about the SDA (Ukraine adoption offices) not opening today.  We were told that (hopefully) the offices will open in February.  We can't submit our dossiers or get travel dates until they open.  So we were all worrying about when we would be able to adopt these kids and what to  tell the kids now about if and when we will be over to pick them up.?.?  

Yet on my drive home to get kids from school I felt so much better than I have all week.  It might just be talking about it.  Maybe it's that we all are still going over and bringing them home, even if it is in August, and that gave me peace.  Who knows, but I'll keep praying, hoping and wishing for them to be here for the summer!

4 comments:

Treasure Hunter said...

I thought 9 months was a long time to wait. I'm hoping and praying that everything falls into place for you (and all those going through this with you) and that your family can be together soon! Good Luck!

Wendy said...

I think we all needed lunch today. I've been so blue since my "dose of reality" with the timing and being with everyone lifted my spirits.
Thanks for your sweet post. You're picture is better than mine so I'm going to steal it for my blog too!

Andreas said...

They say misery loves company, but since we aren't necessarily miserable, I guess it could be 'anxiety loves company'? :-)

It's just good to get together and chat with others and know we are not alone in all of this.

Jen said...

Darn, I missed the picture! Oh, well. There's always next time. It's good to talk with one another and know we aren't going through this alone. We need each other through this whole adoption. We'll continue to need the support once we finally all get the children here!