Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pottery Class

This is where I play with clay on Mondays.  The wheel with the stool down is my usual seat, at least no one has tried to take it from the oldest student in class.  I took a couple classes at the Westminster Rec. Center in Colorado after Morgan was born.  But taking from John and his wife has been fascinating.  The first thing they taught us, after centering the clay, is to lift the clay.  I can see why all of the things I made in Colorado came out the way they did.  I still tend to leave too much clay on the bottom.  I did get an A on my cylinder project and was able to move on to making mugs last week.  Yeah!

 Here are the first four mugs that I've made.  Yesterday I trimmed them and put handles on them, very exciting and very messy.  Morgan has been so curious about my class and every week asks what I'm learning.  I'm sure the muddy clay all over me when I get home reminders her where I've been.  I keep meaning to get an apron, but I sort of enjoy the mess.  She remembered I had to pass the cylinder assignment before I could make mugs and she has been very excited for me.  She has even drawn pictures of different mugs she would like me to make for her.  Thus I took these pictures so she could get an idea of what I am doing.

3 comments:

Grandma Rita said...

Wow Carlin, look at you!!! You always did like to play in mud puddles. Do we need to get our Christmas orders in??? xoxoxo Mom

Tiffany said...

Good for you Carlin! I'm a little jealous that you get to leave your house to do this though! Cute stuff!

samsthree said...

That is so cool. I took a pottery class and I couldn't set the clay. So I think that is awesome.