Fun fact of the week:
During the spring, kiwis farms have so many kiwis, that the workers keep giving us free kiwis in attempts to get rid of them. This time I'm talking about the fruit, not the people or the fluffy birds. NZ has a lot of kiwis...
¿Sup?
This week we went down to Gisborn (pronounced Giz-bun) for exchanges! Gizzy is a lot like Opotiki in a lot of ways, and also super different Haha. The drive down is very lush with every shade of green imaginable, and hundreds of sheep scattered along the hills. Gisborn itself is about 5 times bigger than opotiki, but the style and quality of living is about the same. The biggest difference is the Pakea (which is the word for caucasian kiwis). Opotiki is probably 95% Mauri, whereas Gisborn is 50 50. Pakea are a lot ruder Haha so I'm glad to be in Opotiki. Also the kids dont ride horses to school there so that was different.
Embarrassing story time! I forgot my badge hahahaha. So for three days I "wasn't a real missionary" as Sister Toakarawa so kindly put it. No one seemed to notice, but I felt so weird the whole entire time. It just makes me think about how even though I didn't have my badge, I was still set apart as a missionary. But it was difficult to feel like one and fully act like one because that little piece that set me apart was missing. Each of us can still be a Mormon whether or not we dress or talk like one. But when we portray ourselves as Members of the Church of Jesus Christ, it's a lot easier for us to act like one and fully become one.
Other than that not too much happened! On Saturday for our international day of service, our branch cleaned the outside and inside of the chapel. That was way cool for members to understand how important our building is by spending a few hours cleaning it! This month is light the world, and if yous haven't seen the videos go watch them right now!! They are! So! Good!!!
My wonderful mother sent a Christmas package, so we got to decorate our flat :) it may not be as flash as back in the states, but it feels a lot more like Christmas here in the Opotiki Sisters household! This time of year is wonderful and I'm very grateful to be able to celebrate it on my mission!
I'd like to follow up with yous on the commitment I left last week. Did you visit a less active? Did you see Gods love in your life? (Haha dont I sound like a real missionary now?? ;)) I think I'll leave my badge metaphor as a spiritual thought, but if you really want a scripture to look up, I came across John 3:36 which i recon is pretty great.
Hope yous each have a fantastic week!
Alofa Atu,
Sister Keller
Photosss
1. Christmas in our flat! (Notice the "stockings" Haha
2. Our Christmas tree :)
3. Santa hats to sing at an old folks home!
4. Sister Toakarawa and I on exchanges
1 week ago




No comments:
Post a Comment