Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Day 1 in Nicaragua

Did you ever wonder if I would make it back down to Nicaragua?  Me too!  I went with Morgan in 2011 and again in 2012.  My first trip we worked in an orphanage and my second trip I helped take sewing machines down and helped Denise show some girls there how to sew.  Both trips were wonderful.  I really enjoyed going down.  I thought I'd go every other year, but somehow life happened and it didn't work out.  The first of December I saw that four people were going down in January so I asked Angie if I could go with them.  This was that trip.

I did have a few luggage hicups on this trip.  I'm spoiled flying on Delta with a little bit of status, I have no status on United and I booked using Troy's miles while he still had status.  Extra charges for an oversized duffel bag, detained because I tried to play dumb and not do the extra search and just left with my group, which just made them think I was hiding something.  Once it got sorted out though, the officals were pretty ticked that there wasn't anything they could charge me extra for so they finally let me go.  Lesson learned, follow the crowd.

We arrived in Leon Monday evening and had some yummy tacos in the square.  Then we were up and gone the next day to the center in La Calle Real.  We organized all of the library books, Angie taught some English classes, there were some community counsel meetings, we visited some of the disabled kids who can't make it to the center for the wednesday class, we took some motor carts (I forgot what they called them, but much better than walking through the ashy sand and dirt), dropped Rosario off at Maria's home to stay for a couple months and organized all of the donations and materials for the store.  It was a great day, nice and sunny with a breeze blowing.  Glorious :) Hahahaha





















No comments: