Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Day 2 in Nicaragua


So every time I have gone with the Young's and McMillan's to Nicaragua we have stayed at The A Hotel in Leon and we drive out to La Calle Real and back.  With the Community Center in La Calle Real now people have stayed there so they don't have to travel the hour back and forth.  I thought I'd just post a few pictures of the drive.  There are three different active? volcanoes that you can see on the drive out there.  I'm not sure how active they are, but they are always smoking a little bit.  The first time I was shocked how many volcanoes make up Nicaragua with probably half of them active.  It's an amazing sight to me.  I'm also amazed how they cut roads out of the volcanic rock, make clay pots with the volcanic clay and soil and live in this vast waste land.  I'm sure it's not a total waste land, some areas they grow banana trees, spices and other types of fruit trees.  I'm sure they could grow more if they had better access to water.  All of the poor horses, cows and dogs look like they couldn't get any skinnier.

Anyway, Wednesday was a wonderful day and yes, I even enjoyed the hot sunshine, warm breeze blue skies and traces of humidity.  It's summer there right now, so it is considered the dry season.  Sometimes the dirt gets blown up in your face and that is a bit annoying and painful for the eyes, but overall felt like a dream after moving back to freezing cold Utah with the ugly gray inversion.  Nicaragua was a little bit of heaven.

Today we went out to the high school to find out what students need school uniforms so that they can attend school.  There's on picture with a fenced in square full of chairs and tables, they just rust faster than they can replace them, that hasn't changed in 10 years.  It was funny to see that they made a fenced in area for them instead of just throwing them in a large pile behind the office buildings.  We then went to the center and taught some English classes, Denise went with the book reading group and I helped Jayna with the disabled class.  I just love these kids and adults.  They aren't able to attend school due to a disability so they hired one of the high school teachers to come after school on Wednesdays and do a class for those that can't attend school.  What fun to do some art projects, blow bubbles and read with them.  We took a lot of pictures so that we could print them to give to them next time a group visits.  It was a great day.































































No comments: