Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Random things that happened in March

Grant has to see a musical each term for his Musical Theater class at the Jr. High. It's been fun because I love musicals and I get to spend that time with my baby (he's growing up too fast). Sorry I haven't been very sentimental, not one of those moms who cry when the kids go to kindergarten or are afraid of swim lessons. I'm a wave good-bye and throw them in the pool kind of mom... well I was, now that I've added three more I feel like I never have enough time with each of them or keep up on their lives. That was so off topic...

So I took Grant and Morgan to Viewmont High Schools production of Cats. Absolutely amazing! Every year I go to Viewmont Highs productions because they are as good or better than other small theater productions in the area. We've started attending Woods Cross productions too, really good. It's amazing what these teenage kids can do these days, let alone the sets they come up with.

So here is Morgan on the stage after the production and posing with one of the cats. She would talk to every performer if she could, I think that is her favorite part of the show! But they did an amazing job. I heard they had 90 kids/cats in the performance. When the show began they came down the isles and onto the stage and they just kept coming and coming and coming. They all did a spectacular job.



Ethan and Ana's class earned enough points (or something) to have one of their teachers bring in her pet. The kids just loved it.





Ethan had all A's last term, well every term, and so we went out for ice cream in March. He picked some kind of sherbet with pop rocks in it! What will they think of next? I, myself, picked chocolate ice cream with raspberries... mmmm.

On a side note, when we got home from ice cream, Victor started to ask questions about grades and what A's were and F's were, etc. The entire next week he refused to do any work in class and just told all of his teachers to give him F's and that he hated school. I didn't know till the following Friday when a couple of his teachers emailed me about the situation. I began to wonder if it was triggered by the ice cream episode. I talked to Victor and told him how proud I was of hard he had been working in school (not mentioning I had heard from his teachers) and that in just this year he had moved from a third grade math book to the fifth grade math book and was getting an A in math (he does have a couple math classes so that we can try and catch him up so he can be in 6th grade math in 6th grade next year). He only had one B+ and all A's this term and Morgan also had all A's and a B this term (this year has been hard for Morgan, she's had her first B's and so she has struggled with not getting to go for ice cream with mom too). So I asked him if I could take him and Morgan out one day for ice cream because they had worked so hard and all he said was, "I will work so hard in school mom and I will do better in math". I took that as a yes. It's that sneaky attachment disorder working in him, if he's not the best he quits because he's not good enough and so no one can love him and why even try. He's that way in games all of the time, if he's not winning he quits and walks away. He's getting better, but I just never know when it will show up or what will trigger it. He and Ana are so mild compared to Tanya's but it's there, it's so sad that it stems from a little (or a lot of) neglect or abuse (in our case by their mother). It's something they will deal with all through their lives.




Troy and I went to a little Italian restaurant the other night and they had an Argentine BBQ, sorry forget what it's called in Spanish. Troy served a mission in Argentina and we celebrated our 10th anniversary (many moons ago) by taking a trip down there. We just loved it down their and loved having a couple of sweet girls come live with us for a summer after that. The dinner made me think of them and miss them. It also reminded me that it is warm and sunny down their right now! Here we sit in the snow.





Grant, Morgan and Ethan all went to the eye doctor last Monday (since we had no school due to a teacher prep day). At least once a week I'm pulling Tanya, Victor or Ana out of school for some doctor appointment and I still schedule Grant, Morgan and Ethan on days they won't miss school, poor kids. Grant ended up getting contacts and Ethan really needed glasses! A few times he has said he can't see things and I just brushed it off. He was a little near sited at his yearly check up last year, but not enough to go to the eye doctor, but here he is more near sited than Grant. He's probably needed them all year, but never complained enough to get my attention. He was dang cute in the doctors office when they gave him the lenses to look through. He walked around the entire office telling me all the things he could see with his glasses on! Poor Morgan goes with the boys every year with the hope that her eye sight will go bad so she can get glasses, but no she has perfect, well 20/20 vision. Needless to say she was in tears as we left, so we had to stop at her favorite restaurant and cheer her up!


At last! Tanya, after three visits, finally let the dentist, Uncle Brady, fill her cavities. Well half of her cavities. We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! One more dentist visit for Victor, Tanya and Ana and we should be done for a bit. What will we do when Brady moves this summer. He has capped all of Ana's teeth (except for her front teeth, which are permanent and doing well and a molar in the back which now has a cavity)! We thought she was done after her four previous appointments, but no, back again.
Funny Ana story, I don't know if I have blogged it or not... but since I'm rambling I'll share it (again?). After our last visit to the dentist with Ana, to finish capping her baby teeth (because they were crumbling out of her mouth), Ana was so excited to show everyone at school. She really liked seeing all that silver in her mouth and felt that she could now chew anything. (She had had a lot of pain while eating before all her dental work). Well the next day she came home from school and the kids were all trying to tell us about Ana's super strong teeth. We finally got them to slow down and tell us what had happened. Well, at school Ana was showing all the kids her teeth and that they were invincible and all powerful. So kids started asking her what she could do and she started biting/chewing different things. For her grand finally she chewed right through a tin can! Oh, yes, that is our fearless Ana who won't turn down a challenge! So needless to say we had to have Uncle Brady chat with her about her teeth not being indestructible, only because she didn't believe her parents...
So here is brave Tanya who after biting two dentists on previous appointments, finally let Uncle Brady fill 2 of her 4 cavities. We have come a long way! She really doesn't want anyone but Brady to work on her and where he is moving in the Summer she started begging to go back and get her teeth filled before he moves. I guess that is one way to over come some fear and anxiety.

No comments: